A place where money is kept, or where it is deposited and paid out; a money box.
- Money in the form of bills or coins; currency.
- Payment for goods or services in currency or by check.
- To exchange for or convert into ready money: cash a check; cash in one's gambling chips.
- cash in To withdraw from a venture by or as if by settling one's account.
- cash in Informal To obtain a profit or other advantage by timely exploitation: Profiteers cashed in during the gasoline shortage.
- cash in Slang To die.
- cash out To dispose of a long-held asset for profit: Hard-pressed farmers are tempted to cash out by selling their valuable land.
- cash on the barrelhead Immediate payment: You must pay cash on the barrelhead; we don't offer credit.
- Any of various Asian coins of small denomination, especially a copper and lead coin with a square hole in its center.