To destroy, as by decomposition, dissipation, waste, or fire; to use up; to expend; to waste; to burn up; to eat up; to devour.
- To take in as food; eat or drink up. See Synonyms at eat.
- To expend; use up: engines that consume less fuel; a project that consumed most of my time and energy.
- To purchase (goods or services) for direct use or ownership.
- To waste; squander. See Synonyms at waste.
- To destroy totally; ravage: flames that consumed the house; a body consumed by cancer.
- To absorb; engross: consumed with jealousy. See Synonyms at monopolize.
- To be destroyed, expended, or wasted.
- To purchase economic goods and services: a society that consumes as fast as it produces.