To draw or let out wholly; to drain off completely; as, to exhaust the water of a well; the moisture of the earth is exhausted by evaporation.
- To wear out completely. See Synonyms at tire1.
- To drain of resources or properties; deplete: tobacco crops that exhausted the soil. See Synonyms at deplete.
- To use up completely: exhausted our funds before the month was out.
- To treat completely; cover thoroughly: exhaust a topic.
- To draw out the contents of; drain: exhaust a tank gradually.
- To let out or draw off: exhaust vaporous wastes through a pipe.
- To escape or pass out: Steam exhausts through this valve.
- The escape or release of vaporous waste material, as from an engine.
- The fumes or gases so released.
- A duct or pipe through which waste material is emitted.
- An apparatus for drawing out noxious air or waste material by means of a partial vacuum.