A marking off by visible signs; separation into parts; division.
- The act of distinguishing; differentiation.
- The condition or fact of being dissimilar or distinct; difference: "the crucial distinction between education and indoctrination” ( A. Bartlett Giamatti). See Synonyms at difference.
- A distinguishing factor, attribute, or characteristic.
- Excellence or eminence, as of performance, character, or reputation: a diplomat of distinction.
- A special feature or quality conferring superiority.
- Recognition of achievement or superiority; honor: graduated with distinction.