A spending or consuming; disbursement; expenditure.
- Something spent to attain a goal or accomplish a purpose: an expense of time and energy on the project.
- A loss for the sake of something gained; a sacrifice: achieved speed at the expense of accuracy.
- An expenditure of money; a cost: an improvement that was well worth the expense; a trip with all expenses paid.
- Charges incurred by an employee in the performance of work: was reimbursed for her travel expenses.
- Informal Money allotted for payment of such charges.
- Something requiring the expenditure of money: Redecorating the house will be a considerable expense.
- Archaic The act of expending.
- To charge with expenses.
- To write off as an expense.
- at (one's) expense To one's detriment or chagrin: telling jokes at my expense.