The act of losing; failure; destruction; privation; as, the loss of property; loss of money by gaming; loss of health or reputation.
- The act or an instance of losing: nine losses during the football season.
- One that is lost: wrote their flooded house off as a loss.
- The condition of being deprived or bereaved of something or someone: mourning their loss.
- The amount of something lost: selling at a 50 percent loss.
- The harm or suffering caused by losing or being lost.
- People lost in wartime; casualties.
- Destruction: The war caused incalculable loss.
- Electricity The power decrease caused by resistance in a circuit, circuit element, or device.
- The amount of a claim on an insurer by an insured.
- at a loss Below cost: sold the merchandise at a loss.
- at a loss Perplexed; puzzled: I am at a loss to understand those remarks.