Outward; exterior; relating to the outside, as of a body; being without; acting from without; -- opposed to internal; as, the external form or surface of a body.
- Relating to, existing on, or connected with the outside or an outer part; exterior.
- Suitable for application to the outside: external paints.
- Existing independently of the mind.
- Acting or coming from the outside: external pressures.
- Of or relating chiefly to outward appearance; superficial: "An internal sense of righteousness dwindles into an external concern for reputation” ( A.R. Gurney, Jr.)
- Of or relating to foreign affairs or foreign countries: the country's minister of external affairs.
- An exterior part or surface.
- Outer circumstances.
- Outward appearances: was charming as far as the externals went.