To utter a loud, protracted, mournful sound or cry, as dogs and wolves often do.
- To utter or emit a long, mournful, plaintive sound.
- To cry or wail loudly, as in pain, sorrow, or anger.
- Slang To laugh heartily.
- Slang To go on a spree.
- To express or utter with a howl. See Synonyms at shout.
- A long wailing cry.
- A loud derisive call: the howls of an angry mob.
- Slang Something uproariously funny or absurd.
- howl down To drown out or silence by loud derisive calls: The candidate was howled down at the town meeting.