A straight and slender stick; a wand; hence, any slender bar, as of wood or metal (applied to various purposes).
- A thin straight piece or bar of material, such as metal or wood, often having a particular function or use, as:
- A fishing rod.
- A piston rod.
- An often expandable horizontal bar, especially of metal, used to suspend household items such as curtains or towels.
- A leveling rod.
- A lightning rod.
- A divining rod.
- A measuring stick.
- A shoot or stem cut from or growing as part of a woody plant.
- A stick or bundle of sticks or switches used to give punishment by whipping.
- Punishment; correction.
- A scepter, staff, or wand symbolizing power or authority.
- Power or dominion, especially of a tyrannical nature: "under the rod of a cruel slavery” ( John Henry Newman).
- A linear measure equal to 5.5 yards or 16.5 feet (5.03 meters). Also called pole2.
- The square of this measure, equal to 30.25 square yards or 272.25 square feet (25.30 square meters). See Table at measurement.
- Bible A line of family descent; a branch of a tribe.
- Anatomy Any of various rod-shaped cells in the retina that respond to dim light.
- Microbiology An elongated bacterium; a bacillus.
- Slang A pistol or revolver.
- A portion of the undercarriage of a train, especially the drawbar under a freight car. Often used in the plural: ride the rods.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
ദണ്ഡനം - Dhandanam ;ദണ്ഡ് - Dhandu ;യഷ്ടി - Yashdi ;ശിക്ഷ - Shiksha ;കമ്പ് - Kampu ;അളവുകോല് - Alavukol ;