To emit rays of light; to give light; to beam with steady radiance; to exhibit brightness or splendor; as, the sun shines by day; the moon shines by night.
- To emit light.
- To reflect light; glint or glisten.
- To distinguish oneself in an activity or a field; excel.
- To be immediately apparent: Delight shone in her eyes.
- To aim or cast the beam or glow of (a light).
- To make glossy or bright by polishing.
- Brightness from a source of light; radiance.
- Brightness from reflected light; luster.
- A shoeshine.
- Excellence in quality or appearance; splendor.
- Fair weather: rain or shine.
- Informal Pranks or tricks.
- Slang Whiskey; moonshine.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.
- shine up to Informal To try to impress or please: shined up to the boss, hoping to get a raise.
- take a shine to Informal To like spontaneously.