To impart the knowledge of; to give intelligence concerning; to impart, as knowledge before unknown, or rules for practice; to inculcate as true or important; to exhibit impressively; as, to teach arithmetic, dancing, music, or the like; to teach morals.
- To impart knowledge or skill to: teaches children.
- To provide knowledge of; instruct in: teaches French.
- To condition to a certain action or frame of mind: teaching youngsters to be self-reliant.
- To cause to learn by example or experience: an accident that taught me a valuable lesson.
- To advocate or preach: teaches racial and religious tolerance.
- To carry on instruction on a regular basis in: taught high school for many years.
- To give instruction, especially as an occupation.