The stem, or body, of a tree, apart from its limbs and roots; the main stem, without the branches; stock; stalk.
- The main woody axis of a tree.
- Architecture The shaft of a column.
- The body of a human or animal excluding the head and limbs.
- The thorax of an insect.
- A proboscis, especially the long prehensile proboscis of an elephant.
- A main body, apart from tributaries or appendages.
- The main stem of a blood vessel or nerve apart from the branches.
- A trunk line.
- A chute or conduit.
- Nautical A watertight shaft connecting two or more decks.
- Nautical The housing for the centerboard of a vessel.
- Nautical Any of certain structures projecting above part of a main deck, as:
- Nautical A covering over the hatches of a ship.
- Nautical An expansion chamber on a tanker.
- Nautical A cabin on a small boat.
- A covered compartment for luggage and storage, generally at the rear of an automobile.
- A large packing case or box that clasps shut, used as luggage or for storage.
- Shorts worn for swimming or other athletics.