That which, being sewed or otherwise fastened to an edge or border, serves to guard, strengthen, or adorn it
- A strip, as of leather or other material, stitched into a shoe between the sole and the upper.
- A tape or covered cord sewn into a seam as reinforcement or trimming.
- A ridge or bump on the skin caused by a lash or blow or sometimes by an allergic reaction.
- A lash or blow producing such a mark.
- To reinforce or trim with a welt.
- To beat severely; flog.
- To raise welts or a welt on.