The act of committing, doing, or performing; the act of perpetrating.
- The act of granting certain powers or the authority to carry out a particular task or duty.
- The authority so granted.
- The matter or task so authorized: Investigation of fraud was their commission.
- A document conferring such authorization.
- A group of people officially authorized to perform certain duties or functions: The Federal Trade Commission investigates false advertising.
- A ruling council within the Mafia that adjudicates family disputes and regulates family activities.
- The act of committing or perpetrating: the commission of a crime.
- A fee or percentage allowed to a sales representative or an agent for services rendered.
- An official document issued by a government, conferring on the recipient the rank of a commissioned officer in the armed forces.
- The rank and powers so conferred.
- To grant a commission to. See Synonyms at authorize.
- To place an order for: commissioned a new symphony for the festival.
- To put (a ship) into active service.
- in commission In active service. Used of a ship.
- in commission In use or in usable condition.
- on commission With a sales commission serving as full or partial recompense for the work done: sells boats on commission.
- out of commission Not in active service. Used of a ship.
- out of commission Not in use or working condition.