A legal dissolution of the marriage contract by a court or other body having competent authority. This is properly a divorce, and called, technically, divorce a vinculo matrimonii.
- The legal dissolution of a marriage.
- A complete or radical severance of closely connected things.
- To dissolve the marriage bond between.
- To end marriage with (one's spouse) by way of legal divorce.
- To cut off; separate or disunite: an idea that was completely divorced from reality. See Synonyms at separate.
- To obtain a divorce.