The thin cutting side of the blade of an instrument; as, the edge of an ax, knife, sword, or scythe. Hence, figuratively, that which cuts as an edge does, or wounds deeply, etc.
- A thin, sharpened side, as of the blade of a cutting instrument.
- The degree of sharpness of a cutting blade.
- A penetrating, incisive quality: "His simplicity sets off the satire, and gives it a finer edge” ( William Hazlitt).
- A slight but noticeable sharpness or harshness: His voice had an edge to it.
- Keenness, as of desire or enjoyment; zest: The brisk walk gave an edge to my appetite.
- The line of intersection of two surfaces: the edge of a brick; the table's rounded edges.
- A rim or brink: the edge of a cliff.
- The point at which something is likely to begin: on the edge of war.
- The area or part away from the middle; an extremity: lifted the carpet's edge.
- A dividing line; a border: a house on the edge of town. See Synonyms at border.
- A margin of superiority; an advantage: a slight edge over the opposition.
- A provocative or discomforting quality, as from audacity or innovativeness: "Over all, the show will have a grittier edge” ( Constance C.R. White).
- To give an edge to (a blade); sharpen.
- To tilt (a ski or both skis) in such a way that an edge or both edges bite into the snow.
- To put a border or edge on: edged the quilt with embroidery.
- To act as or be an edge of: bushes that edged the garden path.
- To advance or push slightly or gradually: The dog edged the ball with its nose.
- To trim or shape the edge of: edge a lawn.
- To surpass or beat by a small margin. Often used with out: The runner edged her opponent out at the last moment.
- To move gradually or hesitantly: The child edged toward the door.
- on edge Highly tense or nervous; irritable.
- on the edge In a precarious position.
- on the edge In a state of keen excitement, as from danger or risk: "the excitement of combat, of living on the edge” ( Nelson DeMille).
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
അരുക് - Aruku ;വങ്ക് - Vanku ;സീമ - Seema ;അറ്റം - Attam ;വായത്തല - Vaayaththala | Vayathala ;വക്ക് - Vakku ;