To look over or through, for the purpose of finding something; to examine; to explore; as, to search the city.
- To make a thorough examination of; look over carefully in order to find something; explore.
- To make a careful examination or investigation of; probe: search one's conscience for the right solution to the problem.
- Law To make a thorough check of (a legal document); scrutinize: search a title.
- To examine in order to find something lost or concealed.
- To examine the person or personal effects of in order to find something lost or concealed.
- To come to know; learn.
- To conduct a thorough investigation; seek: were searching for clues.
- An act of searching.
- Law The exercise of right of search.
- search me Slang Used by a speaker to indicate that he or she does not have an answer to a question just asked.