Punishment suffered or denounced; suffering or evil inflicted as a punishment for crime, or connected with the commission of a crime; penalty.
- An unpleasant sensation occurring in varying degrees of severity as a consequence of injury, disease, or emotional disorder.
- Suffering or distress.
- The pangs of childbirth.
- Great care or effort: take pains with one's work.
- Informal A source of annoyance; a nuisance.
- To cause pain to; hurt or injure.
- To be the cause of pain.
- on Subject to the penalty of (a specified punishment, such as death).