One of the small pieces, or splinters, into which a brittle thing is broken by sudden violence; -- generally used in the plural.
- To shake with or as if with cold; tremble. See Synonyms at shake.
- To quiver or vibrate, as by the force of the wind.
- Nautical To cause (a sail) to flutter by sailing too close to the wind.
- An instance of shivering or trembling.
- An attack of shivering. Used with the.
- To break into fragments or splinters; shatter.
- To cause to break suddenly into fragments or splinters.
- A fragment or splinter.