Direction or course toward any place, object, effect, or result; drift; causal or efficient influence to bring about an effect or result.
- Movement or prevailing movement in a given direction: observed the tendency of the wind; the shoreward tendency of the current.
- A characteristic likelihood: fabric that has a tendency to wrinkle.
- A predisposition to think, act, behave, or proceed in a particular way.
- An implicit direction or purpose: not openly liberal, but that is the tendency of the book.
- An implicit point of view in written or spoken matter; a bias.