The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to set at the equinox; or, the corresponding point on the earth; that one of the four cardinal points of the compass which is in a direction at right angles to that of north and south, and on the left hand of a person facing north; the point directly opposite to east.
- The cardinal point on the mariner's compass 270° clockwise from due north and directly opposite east.
- The direction opposite to the direction of the earth's axial rotation.
- An area or region lying in the west.
- The western part of the earth, especially Europe and the Western Hemisphere.
- The western part of a region or country.
- A historical region of the United States west of the Allegheny Mountains.
- The region of the United States west of the Mississippi River.
- The United States, Canada, and the noncommunist countries of Europe, especially during the Cold War.
- The nations of North America and Europe with developed capitalist economies, especially in contrast to less-developed nations.
- To, toward, of, facing, or in the west.
- Originating in or coming from the west: a gentle west wind.
- In, from, or toward the west.