The head or leader of any body of men; a commander, as of an army; a head man, as of a tribe, clan, or family; a person in authority who directs the work of others; the principal actor or agent.
- One who is highest in rank or authority; a leader.
- A chief petty officer.
- Nautical The chief engineer of a ship.
- Slang A boss.
- Heraldry The upper section of a shield.
- The most important or valuable part.
- Highest in rank, authority, or office.
- Most important or influential. See Usage Note at absolute.
- Archaic Chiefly.