A collection or body of men armed for war, esp. one organized in companies, battalions, regiments, brigades, and divisions, under proper officers.
- A large body of people organized and trained for land warfare.
- The entire military land forces of a country.
- A tactical and administrative military unit consisting of a headquarters, two or more corps, and auxiliary forces.
- A large group of people organized for a specific cause: the construction army that built the Panama Canal.
- A multitude; a host: An army of waiters served at the banquet. See Synonyms at multitude.