- A cylindrical glass or earthenware vessel with a wide mouth and usually no handles.
- The amount that a jar can hold.
- Chiefly British A glass of beer.
- To put into a jar.
- To make or utter a harsh sound.
- To be disturbing or irritating; grate: The incessant talking jarred on my nerves.
- To shake or shiver from impact.
- To clash or conflict: "We ourselves . . . often jar with the landscape” ( Isak Dinesen).
- To bump or cause to move or shake from impact.
- To startle or unsettle; shock.
- A jolt; a shock. See Synonyms at collision.
- Harsh or grating sound; discord.