A building or an apartment in which goods, wares, drugs, etc., are sold by retail.
- A small retail store or a specialty department in a large store.
- An atelier; a studio.
- A place for manufacturing or repairing goods or machinery.
- A commercial or industrial establishment: a printing shop.
- A business establishment; an office or a center of activity.
- A home workshop.
- A schoolroom fitted with machinery and tools for instruction in industrial arts.
- The industrial arts as a technical science or course of study.
- To visit stores in search of merchandise or bargains.
- To look for something with the intention of acquiring it.
- To visit or buy from (a particular store).
- shop around To go from store to store in search of merchandise or bargains.
- shop around To look for something, such as a better job.
- shop around To offer (a large block of common stock, for example) for sale to various parties: "[The company] is now actively being shopped around, with a prospectus in circulation” ( Marianne Yen).
- talk shop To talk about one's work.