A burning piece of wood; or a stick or piece of wood partly burnt, whether burning or after the fire is extinct.
- A trademark or distinctive name identifying a product or a manufacturer.
- A product line so identified: a popular brand of soap.
- A distinctive category; a particular kind: a brand of comedy that I do not care for.
- A mark indicating identity or ownership, burned on the hide of an animal with a hot iron.
- A mark burned into the flesh of criminals.
- A mark of disgrace or notoriety; a stigma. See Synonyms at stain.
- A branding iron.
- A piece of burning or charred wood.
- A sword: "So flashed and fell the brand Excalibur” ( Tennyson).
- To mark with or as if with a hot iron. See Synonyms at mark1.
- To mark to show ownership.
- To provide with or publicize using a brand name.
- To mark with disgrace or infamy; stigmatize.
- To impress firmly; fix ineradicably: Imagery of the war has branded itself into the national consciousness.