A sort of leather, prepared from the skin of the buffalo, dressed with oil, like chamois; also, the skins of oxen, elks, and other animals, dressed in like manner.
- A soft, thick, undyed leather made chiefly from the skins of buffalo, elk, or oxen.
- A military uniform coat made of such leather.
- A pale, light, or moderate yellowish pink to yellow, including moderate orange-yellow to light yellowish brown.
- Informal Bare skin: swimming in the buff.
- A piece of soft material, such as velvet or leather, often mounted on a block and used for polishing.
- Made or formed of buff: a buff jacket.
- Of the color buff.
- Slang Having good muscle tone; physically fit and trim: buff athletes lifting weights at the gym.
- To polish or shine with a piece of soft material.
- To soften the surface of (leather) by raising a nap.
- To make the color of buff.
- Informal One who is enthusiastic and knowledgeable about a subject: a Civil War buff.