To measure or determine with a gauge.
- A standard or scale of measurement.
- A standard dimension, quantity, or capacity.
- An instrument for measuring or testing.
- A means of estimating or evaluating; a test: a gauge of character. See Synonyms at standard.
- Nautical The position of a vessel in relation to another vessel and the wind.
- The distance between the two rails of a railroad.
- The distance between two wheels on an axle.
- The interior diameter of a shotgun barrel as determined by the number of lead balls of a size exactly fitting the barrel that are required to make one pound. Often used in combination: a 12-gauge shotgun.
- The amount of plaster of Paris combined with common plaster to speed setting of the mixture.
- Thickness or diameter, as of sheet metal or wire.
- The fineness of knitted cloth as determined by the number of loops per 1 1/2 inches.
- To measure precisely.
- To determine the capacity, volume, or contents of.
- To evaluate or judge: gauge a person's ability.
- To adapt to a specified measurement.
- To mix (plaster) in specific proportions.
- To chip or rub (bricks or stones) to size.