Habitual diligence in any employment or pursuit, either bodily or mental; steady attention to business; assiduity; -- opposed to sloth and idleness; as, industry pays debts, while idleness or despair will increase them.
- Commercial production and sale of goods.
- A specific branch of manufacture and trade: the textile industry. See Synonyms at business.
- The sector of an economy made up of manufacturing enterprises: government regulation of industry.
- Industrial management.
- Energetic devotion to a task or an endeavor; diligence: demonstrated great intelligence and industry as a prosecutor.
- Ongoing work or study associated with a specified subject or figure: the Civil War industry; the Hemingway industry.
- Archaeology A collection of artifacts or tools made from a specified material: a Mesolithic bone industry.
- Archaeology A standardized tradition of toolmaking associated with a specified tool or culture: a stone hand-ax industry; the Acheulian industry.